Onboarding Team Members to Time Tracking Apps
It’s no secret that staff don’t see the benefits of time tracking apps and they certainly don’t want to spend the time completing them. The secret to success, is to introduce it as the norm and be transparent. This will set team habits early on, addressing issues as they crop up. We've compiled a list of steps we help our clients with through their onboarding process. Additionally, our support team are always at hand to help to ensure day one timesheet completion.
Be transparent with your staff
Generally, timesheet systems will allow you to quickly monitor productive and chargeable time. Being open with your employees, letting them know it's not a way of spying on them. Instead, rather a way to ensure a business stays profitable is the approach to take. This in turn leads to you being able to check the following:
- Which clients or projects require a fee negotiation or are making expected margins.
- If you’re working a fixed-fee arrangement, what is your hourly revenue. Furthermore, is there an upwards or downwards trend on fee vs time spent.
- To check which types of work are frequently going over budgeted resources. We advise clients on looking whether this is simply a one-off occurance for unforeseen circumstances or a recurring problem with the client work.
- Identify roadblocks in projects, so that in the future you can ensure the correct resources are available.
- Being able to increase efficiency, by being able to see which areas have over resources and which ones have under. If all staff are constantly. requiring overtime to complete a project but another has no time being assigned, then you can make quick comparisons.
Set habits, save money and time
Timesheet systems can automate many manual processes. From absence requests and approval to timesheet chasing. Here are a few examples of processes that can be set and how to create new habits:
- Automate reports that show you a rundown of available staff, enabling you to see which resources are available. Automating holiday booking processes down to a few clicks at most can save admin time. With Tempora, our users automate reports straight to their inbox so that no manual actions are required.
- Train employees on the benefits on their own timesheets, they can look back at an impartial overview of their own performance and output. It’s also sometimes really uplifting for staff to be able to see how much effort they put into a successful project or job. Upfront workshops and training materials are encouraged to ensure a base level of adoption and understanding upfront.
- Enforce timely timesheet completion. Whilst Tempora offers the Tempora PROMPT, this tool may be too extreme for your internal culture. Instead incentives like cakes or fruit smoothies for the team. Some Tempora clients also offer a staff-wide refreshment fridge providing an entire month is completed with no late timesheets.
- Lead by example. If staff see managers and/or directors completing timesheets, it becomes less of a you and I culture and shows that it’s something for the benefit of the company.
Configure an environment that works for your team
Whilst having correct, to the minute time recordings has its advantages, the reality is that many employees will be able to remember this if out of office or running back to back pitches. In this case we’d recommend the following considerations before rolling out time tracking apps:
- Choose broad time format to begin with, before moving to something more specific. Tempora would always advise that you begin with a 15-minute rounding. This means employees could record time in 15/30/45/60-minute blocks. Later, or if more suitable you can move into a to the minute approach.
- Allow staff to use mobile and desktop time entry portals, so they can capture time as it is spent, so there won't become a backlog to catch-up on. In a modern, multi device work environment, offering platforms to your teams convenience is encouraged.
- Look at setting minimum requirements rather than maximum. A minimum amount of weekly hours will encourage a volume of data from your team. If certain team members are frequently putting additional help into projects, giving them a vessel to record this will boost motivation and aide annual reviews.
To find out more about how we can help with a timesheet entry rollout, guarantee staff time recording or just about our training approach, why not drop us a line.